Grow the Supplement OWL
Even as we advocate for mandatory listing, the industry’s voluntary registry, the Supplement OWL, provides a template for that requirement, providing visibility and accountability by its participants. CRN will devote new resources to increase industry participation in, and stakeholder awareness of, the Supplement OWL and to expand its reach.
A newly-designed Supplement OWL website launched March 2021 to better serve additional audiences including consumers and regulators in addition to regulators.
For business users
Changes to the Supplement OWL aren't all about style, these substantive enhancements to the business user experience make it easier than ever to keep your company's listings up-to-date:
- Multi-version tool adds additional versions of the same product
- Bulk upload capability for adding multiple products at once
- "Supplier" feature allows brand owners to give their suppliers administrative rights to enter product information, but not to publish changes without brand owner review
- “Export results” feature so users can download topline results of their searches
- “Save search” feature and an associated notification feature that informs users when additional items appear in their saved search
- Brand owner and supplier guides to using the registry
- Video guide for brand owners
Business users logged in to their Supplement OWL account can explore these features and use them today to make it easier to keep their company's listings updated. Learn more.
Advisory Board shares three 'Supplement OWL' best practices
Once your company's labels are in the Supplement OWL registry, it's important to keep them current. Benefits of timely registry updates include greater visibility of your company’s new and reformulated products, as well as better accuracy for FDA users. The Supplement OWL Advisory Board recommends that companies:
SCHEDULE product information updates to the registry at least twice annually/every six months on a rolling basis with any new products or label changes to existing products
REMOVE products from the registry when products are discontinued and all existing production in the marketplace has expired.
UPDATE listings immediately upon launch of new or reformulated products, when possible.